03 Dec Closing the Curtain on Stage Fright No More Fear of Public Speaking
By Elizabeth Peterson, M.A.,CCC-SLP
Excerpt from, How to Speak like a Broadcaster and Lead like a CEO
Listed in this worksheet are thoughtful points to consider if you have fear of public speaking.
- What physical symptoms do you feel when experiencing stage fright or fear of public speaking?
*It is important to take the time to identify what you are feeling in order to have full awareness of the areas where you want to redirect that energy.
- On a scale from 1-10, rank your level of fear of public speaking. ____________
*If you are in the upper limit, the strategies in this unit will really help you.
- Provide examples of specific thoughts that enter your mind before public speaking in front of others.
- Do you feel different public speaking in front of 5 people versus 75? ________
- Is fear of public speaking physical or mental? _________________________
*It is actually both.
- If you have concerns that your talk will not go well, what would be some of the factors causing it not to go smoothly?
- What strengths can you bring to your presentation?
- Is fear of public speaking something that just happens to you, or do you cause those symptoms and the anxiety?
Think about these points if fear of public speaking is something that impacts you. Having better understanding and awaress of what is happening to you and why can help you to become more confident and skilled with your public speaking. I wish you great success!
Go to www.SpeechAndVoice.com for information on:
- Private training in Denver on online
- Two public speaking day seminars. Denver or online as a webinar
- E-Learning public speaking class. Take the class on your own timeline
- Online content-Sign up for our free e-book or have this articles and videos sent to your inbox. Enjoy our free videos.
- Get the book: How to Speak like a Broadcaster and Lead like a CEO-with auditory support and online downloadable seminar option